The healthcare sector is constantly evolving and the need for efficient lab technicians is growing every single day. Thus, becoming a lab technician can be a very good career option overall. But to take up a career as a lab technician, there are certain academic steps that one needs to climb. To become a medical lab technician, most Indian students take a Diploma in medical lab technician course right after their 12th exams. Having a degree or diploma in lab technician courses, the candidates can eventually rise to become a medical lab technician.
But a certificate or diploma course is not always enough to become a successful medical lab technician. After the diploma course, it is always best to opt for a Bachelor’s degree in MLT. With a B.Sc degree in medical lab technology, a wider scope of opportunities will open up for you.
You shall be able to execute the following tasks as a technician:
- Using various laboratory tests for the treatment of complications in patients.
- Better diagnosis of diseases and complications.
- Prevention of fatal diseases by pre-monitoring
The most important that lies between Diploma in MLT and B.Sc in MLT is that DMLT is a 2-year program. While on the other hand, B.Sc is a 3-year program. In most cases, the candidates who want to opt for the B.Sc program need to go through an entrance exam to gain admission into the college of their choice. On the other hand, there is generally no need for the candidates to appear for any entrance exam to gain admission into a college.
Why are Medical Lab Technicians Important?
It should be also noted that the job prospects that are available to the candidates who have completed their Bachelor’s Degree in MLT are greater than the ones who have only a Diploma degree. After the completion of the course, the candidates may be hired in the leading hospitals or pharmaceutical companies. Therefore, Medical Lab Technicians play an important role in the healthcare sector. This allied healthcare course is entirely aimed at offering support to the doctors and the physicians for the treatment and better diagnosis of the patients.
Medical Lab technicians are an integral part of the medical system and through the training that they receive, the technicians are taught to attend to the needs of the patients and assist them through the diagnostic steps and developing the reports for the doctors.
What are the Eligibility Criteria for the Course?
The eligibility criteria for each institute are different and the courses of Diploma and Bachelor’s degree have entirely eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria tend to change from college to college and hence the students must look into the eligibility criteria when they look for mlt courses near me. Here are some of the common factors that need to be looked after while searching for a college and course:
- Diploma in Medical Lab Technician: To take admission in this course, the candidates must have cleared their 12th standard exam with science subjects including Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Mathematics as the core subjects. Student must have 40% marks or more. The admission to this course is done based on merit.
- Bachelor’s in Medical Lab Technician: To become a B.Sc in MLT, the candidates need to have had Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Mathematics as their subjects in their 12th The candidates must have to attend a minimum of 50% in their board exams. Admission to this course is done through university-level entrance exams.
What is the Admission Process for the Course?
The admission process to the certificate courses of MLT in Delhi and other parts of India is done in two main ways. The ways are as follows:
- Entrance-based Admissions: For admission in the B.Sc course, the candidates have to apply for the entrance test and then they appear as and when asked by the University. After the test is conducted, the University releases a merit list that contains the ranks and scores of the students. If the candidates acquire the cutoff marks, they are sent in for counseling. During the counseling process, the students can choose a college of their liking based on their score and rank.
- Merit-based Admissions: For Admission in the Diploma courses, the individuals will need to apply for the respective colleges of their choice and they are also required to appear for the selection process. Before the Selection process starts, a merit list is released by the college containing the names of the eligible candidates. Depending on their ranks, the candidates get the chance to be admitted to the college.
What is the Fee-Structure and Job Prospect of the Course?
The fee structure of each college is different and hence the amount charged for the course will also be different. The average cost for studying a medical lab technician course is usually between Rs. 1-2 lakhs. While a technician who is just starting on the field can earn Rs. 2 lakhs per annum and his salary can even go up to Rs. 5 lakhs per annum or higher depending on their skills and experience.