Dealing with the aftermath of an auto accident is never easy. In Idaho, you are required to inform the police and report the accident if the accident caused injury, death, or property damage worth $1,500 or more. If someone is injured, call 911 immediately. Also, consider informing your insurance company within a reasonable time. The big question is whether you need to engage an Idaho car accident attorney. While you can file an accident claim with the at-fault party’s insurer on your own, hiring a lawyer has many benefits. In this post, we are sharing the situations when hiring a lawyer is absolutely necessary.
- When your injuries are severe. If you have sustained serious injuries, such as broken bones or require hospital stay for a long time, you should definitely hire a lawyer.
- You should also call an attorney if someone died in the accident. If you lost an immediate family member, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit against the party at fault.
- If you have talked to your doctor, and they agree that your injuries will have long-term care or can impact your ability to have a normal life, you must speak with an attorney to know the claim’s worth.
- If your injuries are likely to prevent you from working in the future, or you have lost valuable time because of the accident, ask an attorney about the losses you can recover.
- It is also wise to seek legal representation if multiple vehicles were involved. Auto accidents that involve commercial trucks are often very different and require detailed investigation.
- If you were partly at fault for the accident, you should certainly contact an attorney. Idaho relies on contributory negligence laws to determine liability. If you are more at fault than the other driver (the one you are trying to sue), you may not recover anything.
- The case is complicated because of other factors.
Insurance companies will never play fair when settling car accident claims. They often like to downplay the injuries suffered by victims, and without any prior experience of dealing with such claims, you may end up accepting a lower settlement. Let an attorney negotiate the claim and take things forward. They will also gather evidence and work on the case for all possible circumstances. Just ensure that your attorney can represent clients in court if needed. Most car accident claims are typically settled outside of court in Idaho.