Who hasn’t dreamt of a head full of shiny, silky hair? It is our desire since childhood to have beautiful hair, the kind that will bounce with health and make our friends go green with envy.
Reality, though, is not so appealing. Your hair gets oily, messy, lifeless, dull, starts falling at an alarming pace, you get dandruff and what not! No matter how much you try to protect it, your hair seems more interested in falling on the floor rather than thriving on your scalp.
One of the major causes of hair fall is dry, itchy scalp caused by dandruff. Hair care is impossible without tackling this problem effectively. If your scalp is undernourished and dry, hair-fall is inevitable. It needs sustenance from your diet and from external oiling.
If this is a problem you are facing with your hair, do read on to know some workable home remedies to treat dry, itchy scalp, and also understand which hair shampoo would be best for you.
Why does Dry Itchy Scalp occur?
There are many causes that lead to dry, itchy scalp, the most common being dandruff. Dandruff is caused when there is a build-up of dead skin cells on the scalp. These dead skin cells get transferred as flakes onto the hair, and cause itching and dryness on the scalp.
Another reason for dry, itchy scalp is a reaction to weather change. Summers are usually harsh in our country, and the heat and sweat leads to itching.
Other reasons for dry, itchy scalp may be
- Seborrheic Dermatitis, an inflammatory skin condition
- Fungal infections, including ringworm
- Allergic reaction to hair colour or other hair products
- Head lice
You can treat itchy scalp caused by the above factors with some simple home remedies and a good hair care routine.
However, if your itchiness persists for more than a couple of weeks, and there is pain or swelling, do consult a doctor.
Some home remedies for dry, itchy scalp are
- Mashed bananas mixed with olive or coconut oil are nourishing, have antimicrobial properties, and effectively moisturize your scalp. Blend a ripe banana, mix with oil and massage your scalp with this. Rinse after ten to fifteen minutes.
- A combination of yoghurt and egg is very effective in hair care. Yoghurt soothes and exfoliates, while the egg nourishes and protects the scalp.
- If your dry itchy scalp is caused by dandruff, you can mix apple cider vinegar in double the amount of water and apply to your scalp. After five minutes, rinse with a mild hair shampoo.
- A head massage with natural oils like coconut, jojoba, or olive oil work for dry scalp caused by eczema or lice. Warm the oils and massage well, keep for 15-20 minutes, and shampoo.
- Tea tree oil is useful if your itchiness is a result of dandruff or lice or seborrheic dermatitis. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with olive oil and massage your scalp, or use diluted with a mild shampoo.
- You can massage two tablespoons of raw honey, mixed with equal water, to massage your scalp. This can help alleviate itching caused by seborrheic dermatitis.
- Avoid hair styling products that contain alcohol as it dries the scalp further. Use a hair conditioner containing naturally derived ingredients.
- Aloe vera gel has anti inflammatory properties that can bring relief. Apply it to your scalp and rinse after ten minutes.
- Peppermint oil contains menthol that is effective in comforting itchy scalp caused by skin allergies. Dilute with olive oil and apply before shampooing.
- Lemon juice is useful in cleaning the scalp of dirt and dead skin cells. Dilute lemon juice with equal water and apply to your scalp, leave for ten minutes, then rinse off.
Along with using these natural ingredients, also change your shampoo to one that hydrates and nourishes your scalp.
Which Shampoo will be Effective in tackling Dry, Itchy Scalp?
It is important that you follow a healthy hair care routine, that includes keeping your hair clean and conditioned with a mild hair shampoo and conditioner.
An excellent shampoo for dry hair is Kiehl’s Amino Acid Shampoo, that contains the goodness of Coconut Oil and Amino Acids to clean and soften your hair. It contains the perfect balance of Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins and Pure Coconut Oil, and is sulphate free and mild to use.
Follow this with Kiehl’s Amino Acid hair conditioner, loaded with Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Wheat Proteins and Amino Acids. It smoothens your hair with a light and creamy texture, improves hair’s manageability and boosts shine. It also helps maintain your hair’s natural moisture balance, and leaves it shiny and healthy-looking
So, along with the home remedies, use science and Kiehl’s expertise to deal with dry, itchy scalp.
And see how your hair shines with health once again.