When script demands an exaggerated yet convincing sequence like creation of an alien environment or fictional characters or an explosion in the building or demonstration of super-powers, basically developing awe-inspiring effects or simulations that are otherwise unfeasible to create in real life, “Visual Effects” or “Visual FX” or “VFX” come into play. It entails manipulation of imagery along with fusion of digitally enhanced graphics with real life shoot.
Animation is a kind of visual effect that involves bringing to life inanimate objects or photographs or illustrations or static images or 3D generated characters. It works basis a principal under which when numerous stationary inanimate objects or illustrations etc. are showcased in a series at a fast speed, our brain interprets it as a single moving image. Thus, Animation entails transformation of illustrations, inanimate objects, images, models etc. into frames, which are then placed in a succession to give an illusion of movement. To create a jerk less smooth movement, 24 frames per second are essential. The Animation hence created can feed Video Games, TV shows, Films, advertising, mobile applications, and digital space etc.
Career opportunities on completion of VFX and Animation course:
- Animator: He is responsible for bringing alive inanimate objects, hand drawn or digitally produced images by using varied software such as stop-frame, 3D model-making, 2D etc. These static images are sequenced into frames that are then stitched to give an illusion of movement. The produced content is utilized in films, video games, digital medium etc.
- Game Designer/Developer: He is responsible for conceptualizing, ideating, designing game concept along with creating storyline, puzzles, characters and mechanics etc. basis research, analysis and evaluation of target audience. Furthermore, he ensures that game must be available on multiple platforms and can be updated easily. He is also accountable for success of the game and for that he collaborates with teams from different departments like testing, VFX, programming, sound design, marketing etc.
- Web Designers: He is responsible for conceiving, designing and coding web pages employing his technical and non-technical skills basis his comprehension of client’s brief, end customer’s requirements & preferences, the company’s brand language etc. Furthermore, he identifies the appropriate coding language, UI-UX, graphical & technical aspects besides intuitive & logical navigation so that the designed website can run on multiple platforms. He also ensures that the website is open to easy updates & maintenance.
- Lighting Artist: He has a comprehensive knowledge about the way lighting interacts with real life objects and affects film production. He plays an essential role in storytelling, for he breathes life into every sequence by setting tone for every shot and ensuring continuity.
- Compositing Artist: He is responsible for seamlessness between the visual effects (VFX) and the live shoot, thereby ensuring glitch free experience to the audience.
- Rigging or Texture Artist: He is responsible for crafting a digital skeleton for 3D computer-generated characters. In addition, he must possess a good observation skill for he also is accountable for giving a personality, reaction, a face, and movement
- Concept Artists: He plays an essential role, for he conceives as well as designs simulated worlds, environment & characters that do not exist, conjures up temperaments, personality, moods, reactions etc.
Take up VFX and animation course for a career that transports people into imaginary world.